I made it through Dairy Free August! What came of this you ask?
- I lost 3 pounds!
- Not eating dairy REALLY cuts out my options for fast food (I’m not going to stop and get a burger if I can’t have cheese on it, what is the point!?”)
- Tijuana Flats tacos are just as tasty without the cheese and sour cream
- I really didn’t cook that much more than I usually do
- I didn’t really miss ice cream. I had it once and thought it would send me on a downward spiral and it didn’t. I was kinda shocked.
- My allergies really weren’t much better. Granted, I didn’t have the “clog up” caused by eating diary (since I wasn’t eating it as much), but over all I don’t feel like my day to day allergies were any better.
So am I going to continue on this dairy free adventure? Am I going to cut out dairy completely in September?
Yes I am going to continue to try and limit the amount of dairy I consume, but I really don’t think that cutting it out completely is the way to go for me. I love cheese and cutting it out of my life completely just doesn’t seem worth it to me. I don’t want to feel bad about having a slice of cheese on a hamburger or have to turn down ice cream for dinner with my mom. I know I should eat less of it, so that is what I’m going to do. I’m gonna try to stick to the two meals a week rule but I’m also not going to fret if one week it is three meals. I’ve learned that I can cut back on dairy and not go through withdrawl or turn into a crazy person.
So instead of going full on NO MORE DAIRY I’m going to make a small lifestyle adjustment and have LESS dairy in my life. Little changes like not keeping ice cream or cheese in the house, leaving the cheese and sour cream off my tacos every week, eating less fast food. It is a small change that can make a big impact without me feeling like I’m depriving myself of something I love.