So I’ve had this idea in my head for awhile, so since I needed to make cupcakes for work tomorrow I didn’t to give it a shot.
Here is what you need:
- Betty Crocker Super Moist Triple Chocolate Fudge cake mix (and the eggs/oil/water to go with it)
- Betty Crocker whipped vanilla frosting
- 1/8 tsp peppermint extract
- Mini peppermint patties
1. Make the cake mix according to the directions on the box. If you have a stand mixer, USE IT. It makes box cake mixes much better.
2. Line your cupcake pan with festive cupcake cups/wrappers.
3. Put a big spoon full of batter in the bottom of all the cups. Mainly make sure that you have a nice cover on the bottom of the cup.
4. Drop in a peppermint pattie, then put in enough batter on top of it to fill it to 2/3’s full.
5. Cook until it bounces bake when you touch the top. You can’t really use the “toothpick test” because some of the chocolate from the peppermint pattie will get on the toothpick and throw you off.
6. Let your cupcakes cool completely.
7. Mix 1/8 of a tsp of peppermint extract into one container of whipped vanilla frosting. You can add more if you like, but be very careful – that stuff is strong. You can always add more if you need to. Add it in small increments.
*Note: If you are making 24 cupcakes and want a lot of frosting, you will either need one of those BIG containers of frosting or two of the small ones. I only made 12, so one container was enough.
8. Frost your cupcakes!
9. Cut your remaining peppermint patties in half and place one half on eat cupcake.