Pie you say? Who doesn’t like pie?
When I first heard about the new The Art of Pie promotion at Omni Hotels & Resorts I was quite intrigued. What is The Art of Pie you ask? Their world-class chefs from across the country got together and compiled their best and most mouth-watering pie recipes. Starting on November 18th and running through December 19th, they are sharing their tried and true recipes with you. Each week, they will release four new pie recipes along with helpful baking tips from the experts, the stories behind the creation of the pies, and the accomplished backgrounds of our chefs – all with the intention of helping you master the art form that is pie.
If you check out The Art of Pie post of the Omni Hotels & Resorts blog you can see pictures of all the tasty pies and find links to the recipes. The first week Chef Daven Wardynski from the Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort shared his Florida Orange Pie recipe.
Florida Orange Pie
The Graham Cracker Crust:
6.5 oz Graham Crackers (about 12)
5 Tbsp Butter, melted
1/4 cup Sugar, granulated
1/8 tsp Salt
1. Pulse all ingredients in a food processor until all crackers are broken up well.
2. Remove the graham crust mixture from the food processor and press firmly onto a sprayed pan.
3. Pre-bake the crust at 300 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
4. Remove from the oven and allow to cool at room temperature
The Orange Curd:
1 each Vanilla Bean, split and scraped
2 Tbsp. Orange Zest
12 oz. Orange Juice
1 cup Sugar, granulated
8 each Eggs, yolks
10 oz. Butter, whole and diced
1. Warm all ingredients from cold over medium heat
2. Stir constantly until thickened and bubbles start to form around edges of pot (170-175 degrees)
3. Do not over cook or the curd will separate.
4. Remove curd from heat and pour into desired mold or pie shell.
5. Allow to set for 6-8 hours in a refrigerator or cooler.
The Champagne Sabayon:
1/4 cup Champagne
1/4 cup Sugar, granulated
1/4 cup Egg, yolks
1. Combine all ingredients in a stainless mixing bowl and whip over a double boiler until airy and frothy.
2. Reserve for service Pie.
And then last week, Chef Robert Ash from the Omni Orlando Resort at ChampionsGate shared his take on the ever popular Key Line Pie. You can’t go wrong with key lime pie in Florida!
Florida Key Lime Pie
1.5 lbs Sweetened condensed milk
2 oz egg yolks
3 oz Nellie and Joe’s Key Lime Juice
Combine all ingredients together and set aside.
2 cups Graham cracker crumbs
4 Tbsp Butter, melted
1/4 cup Coconut, shredded
1. Combine dry ingredients and drizzle in the butter and mix well.
2. Spray pan 9-inch pan with pan spray.
3. Press into bottom of your 9-inch cake pan, coming up the side half way.
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. 2. Pour the filling into the pan 3/4 to the top of the pan and place into the oven to bake for an hour. 3. Check pie by inserting a pairing knife or butter knife. If it comes out fairly clean and center of pie is firm, take pie out and let it cool completely. If not add more time and check every 5-10 minutes. 4. When cooled completely, remove from cake pan, cut into wedges and serve with whipped cream and fresh berries.
Now I feel like I need to go home and make a pie!
Every week they will add the new pies and recipes to the existing The Art of Pie post, so make sure to bookmark it! And of course you can find out all about it on their social media channels as well (Twitter, Instagram, & Pinterest).