Florida strawberry season is one of my favorite times of the year! One of the benefits of living in Florida is having strawberries available all winter long. They are tasty, fresh, and can be used in so many fun and delicious ways.
Did you know that strawberries are virtually fat free, contain no cholesterol, and are an excellent source of folic acid that helps the body metabolize protein? They are a good source of potassium too! Research by the USDA indicates that strawberries may help fight cancer, heart disease and other ills. They are low in calories (about 45 per serving) and high in ellagic acid, which is believed to help reduce the risk of cancer. Health, convenience, and deliciousness are just three reasons strawberries are such a popular produce pick. Visit the Florida Strawberry website for more health benefits!
Since strawberries are such a healthy food, I decided to turn them into a healthy and delicious salsa. This strawberry mango salsa can be eaten with chips or used on top of chicken, fish, or even your eggs in the morning. It is full of fresh ingredients and easy to throw together for a snack or party.
To go with this strawberry mango salsa I made some cinnamon chips from whole wheat tortillas. You could also make these with corn, flour, or whatever type/size tortillas you have on hand.
Strawberry Mango Salsa with Whole Wheat Cinnamon Chips
1 cup chopped strawberries
1 cup chopped mango
½ cup diced red onions
½ – 1 tbls jalapenos (I used the kind from the jar)
2-3 tbls chopped cilantro
1 tsp sugar
Juice of 1 lime
Whole Wheat tortillas
1 tbls melted butter
½ cup sugar
1 tbls cinnamon
- In medium size bowl, mix together strawberries, mango, and onion.
- Stir in 1 tsp of sugar and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Mix ½ – 1 tbls of jalapenos (to taste).
- Mix in lime juice and cilantro (to taste).
While the salsa is marinating in the sugar, you can get your first batch of cinnamon chips in the oven.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut each tortillas into 8 pieces.
- Melt 1 tbls of butter.
- Mix together sugar and cinnamon. This will make more than you need. I recommend putting the mixture in a shaker so that it is easier to put on your chips and so that you can save the leftover.
- Brush each tortilla piece with butter and then top with cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
This recipe is super easy, so it is great for a party, before a meal, or even just an afternoon watching football. You can even use the leftovers to top some chicken or fish, or to add to breakfast the next morning.
If you love Florida Strawberries as much as I do, you you should enter their huge giveaway! Submit a fun photo with Florida strawberries and receive a free Florida Strawberry cap plus get entered for a chance to win the grand prize! Grand Prize – A three-night stay for four at the Guy Harvey Outpost – a TradeWinds Beach Resort – on St. Pete Beach in Florida.
Make sure to look for Florida Strawberries in stores ALL winter long from November through April each year. If you don’t see Florida Strawberries in your local store, ask your produce or store manager to carry Florida Strawberries!
Want some other healthy and tasty ideas for what to do with Florida Strawberries all winter long? Check out these great recipes from my Sunday Supper friends!
- Balsamic & Brown Sugar Strawberry Canapés by My Sweet Zepol
- Fresh Mozzarella Strawberry Flatbread by Family Foodie
- Slow Cooker Strawberry Foccaccio by Healing Tomato
- Strawberry Avocado Crostini by Beauty and the Beets
- Strawberry Mango Salsa with Whole Wheat Cinnamon Chips by Meghan On The Move
- Feta and Strawberry Tabouleh Salad by Sunday Supper Movement
- Strawberry Caprese Salad with Balsamic and Mint by Authentically Candace
- Strawberry Panzanella Salad by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Pan-Seared Sea Bass with Butternut Squash and Strawberry Sauce by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Pork Chops with Balsamic-Strawberry Sauce by Life Tastes Good
- Strawberry Balsamic Grilled Chicken by Katie’s Cucina
- Strawberry Pesto Chicken by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Strawberry Salad with Grilled Chicken and Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette by Family Around The Table
- Lightened-Up Strawberry Mille-Feuille by Girl Abroad
- Roasted Strawberry Pavlova with Lemon Cream by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberries Romanoff by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Strawberry Buttermilk Cake by Cricket’s Confections
- Strawberry Pound Cake Kabobs With Chocolate Drizzle by My Sweet Savings
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
This post is sponsored by Florida Strawberry in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.